- Tevin Mack nears college decision – 4 star small forward [Article & Video]
- Isaiah Briscoe is the best PG in 2015 class – Shifty East Coast Guard [New Video]
- Xavier Simpson shines in John Lucas Midwest Invitational – 2016 Floor General [Article & Video]
- Myles Turner looks to have big freshman season – Texas Longhorns 7 footer [New Video]
- Jordan Harris brings explosive game to John Lucas Midwest Invitational [New Video]
- Ibi Watson shows off unique game – John Lucas Midwest Invitational [Post & Video]
- Henry Baddley represents Akron in John Lucas Midwest Invitational [Post & Video]
- Damon Harge drops crazy double behind-the-back pass – John Lucas Midwest Invitational [Video]
- OG Anunoby is a future Hoosier – athletic SF commits to Indiana [New Mixtape]
- Marcus LoVett lights up the Under Armour Association – 2015 flashy PG [New Mixtape]
7 foot Zach Brown is the tallest freshman in the country [Article & Mixtape]
- Updated: June 13, 2014
Written By: Taylor Hicks
Edited By: Kyle Mills
Remember the name and check this kid out. Zach Brown is a LEGIT 7 foot freshman (Class of 2017) that is coming for the #1 spot in the entire country!
Recently measuring 7’0 with a 7’3 wingspan while weighing 264 pounds at Super Sophomore Camp, Brown attends Miami Beach high school in Miami, Florida.
While playing as a freshman on varsity last season, Brown averaged 19 points, 17 rebounds, and 7 blocks per game! He credits his high school coach, Jacob Shaw, with helping him develop. Shaw was able to see all of the talent and potential he had even as a freshman, and is constantly pushing Brown to become a better player.
Brown had a very good season last year for Miami Beach high school, but one of his games stuck out like no other. The beast scored 43 points, pulled down 26 rebounds and swatted 11 shots. This type of a video game stat line is why colleges are already hot on his recruiting trail.
Brown plays AAU ball for the South Beach All-Stars and has been getting his name out there during the spring circuit. Currently sitting as the #4 best kid in the entire nation in the class of 2017, Brown is making a hard push for that #1 slot.
During the Super Sophomore Camp several weeks ago, Brown balled out. He was one of the most impressive kids at the event and definitely proved why he was the best big man as well.
Zach Brown, 7'1", Miami Beach is having a dominant opening night at super soph #SSC2014
— Trinity Best (@bballTrinity) May 31, 2014
Brown routinely owns the paint on both ends of the court. On defense, if he isn’t blocking the shot he is altering it. On offense, he is constantly getting rebounds and put back dunks. Brown isn’t afraid to use his size to his advantage and punishes the rim down low. Even at such a young age, the freshman center is already very strong.
The Miami Beach star is able to run the floor very well for having a 7’0 264 pound frame. He does little things that separate him from the rest like keeping the ball up high so no one can tip it out of his hands or affect his shot. When Brown blocks a shot, he swats it down like he is spiking a volleyball, always keeping it in play.
Although finesse isn’t his game, Brown already can claim he is a beast in the paint. He could still improve on several things before he is considered the #1 overall player in his class. Brown is working hard to improve his right hand, since he is a lefty, and his footwork in the post. One thing he does need for his game to smoothly transition into college in several years in a 12-15 foot jump shot.
Although this may come off as being nitpicky, Brown knows he needs to put in work if he wants to be in contention for the #1 spot overall. He is a good kid who is constantly working hard to improve his game.
The beast is currently receiving interest from HIGH MAJOR schools such as: Miami, UCLA, UConn, South Carolina, Florida, Kansas, and Virginia.
It should only be a matter of time before the name Zach Brown becomes synonymous with the basketball player and not with the country music band. Lookout world because this 7 foot freshman is ready to take the basketball world by storm!
Make sure to checkout the mixtape by Daren Scarberry for Zach Brown above!
Please follow us on Twitter at: